Skip to main content

SM Scholarship Provides Solid Education for A Flower Farmer's Daughter

Having a good education is one of the foundations of a nice life in the future. 

That holds true for SM scholar Jonnah Sacamay, who grew up in a family where stability seemed like unchartered territory. Years ago, Jane's family was solely dependent on flower farming. It hasn't given them the stability they need because the demand for flowers is seasonal. With that in mind, Jonnah's parents always tell her how important education is. 



"Given that the nature of farming is very seasonal, our income is not stable. Aside from augmenting our daily needs, we also had to ensure that my education is secured," recalled Jonnah. 

She did well in her studies especially when she heard about SM College Scholarship Program. With eyes set on the scholarship, she graduated as class valedictorian in high school. She applied for the scholarship soon after. 

"I was informed that I got accepted as an SM Scholar. From then on, a huge weight was lifted on my parents' shoulders. I could pursue my chosen degree in my chosen university," said Jonnah.

Through the scholarship, she was able to focus on the development of her skills and knowledge not only in accountancy but especially in life. She graduated Magna Cum Laude in BS Accountancy at the University of San Carlos.



"The SM Scholarship helped me reach my dream of becoming a CPA, and this opened doors for me, enabling me to land a job that empowered me to help my family," she added. "My experience in retail has given me wide knowledge in different areas. With this, I always make sure that my family makes informed decisions in all aspects of life. One thing that has become a tradition among SM Cebu scholars during my time was to have an outreach program. In our own way, we were able to pay forward the help that received from SM. It was a fulfilling experience that we could share our blessings in our own little way."

At present, she serves as a Senior Accounting Manager at the SM Store Cebu. Aside from financial security, she currently takes care of her parents' medical expenses and lets them enjoy life after retiring as flower farmers. 

"Having a degree enabled me and my family to experience more in life. It paved the way for me to secure a stable job, which allowed me to travel, treat my family to a nice meal, take them shopping on special occasions, and most importantly, support my parents and their medical expenses. Aside from providing me with a scholarship grant, working in SM has provided a sense of security for me and my family."

For the school year 2023-2024, the application period is open from February 1- March 31, 2023. The selected scholars may specialize in accounting, information technology, engineering, and education with full tuition and monthly allowance, including enrichment programs and activities. 

Visit- SM College Scholarship for more details. 






























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scientific fact: Women are more attracted to men with facial hair

Science says it. Men with facial hair are more attractive. A study in the 70s and two more recent ones conducted by Neave and Shields in 2008 and Dixson and Brooks in 2013 all came up with the same conclusion: Most women find men with a stubble or a five-o’clock shadow very, very attractive.   Although the women’s perception of male attractiveness changed according to the amount and length of men’s facial hair, most women in the study found men with a moderate amount of facial hair to be the most attractive. Some women did prefer men with no facial hair, but to the majority, men with no facial hair were not very attractive and seemed the least likely romantic partners. Women perceived full bearded men to be aggressive, more mature and a bit too much to handle.

Thinning hair problem? 5 ways to deal with your hair loss dilemma

Losing lots of hair each day? Starting to have bald patches on your head? One of the most fearsome thoughts for both men and women is the prospect of thinning hair. Though hair loss occurrence is higher among men, women are not exempted from this problem. According to studies, roughly 30 percent of the adult population suffers from some degree of hair loss, which can lower one’s confidence and cause anxiety. If hair is one’s crowning glory, balding hair can be a real nightmare. 

Your UnionBank Mastercard may be the key to a brand-new BMW

Union Bank of the Philippines (UnionBank) Mastercard credit cardholders, this is for you! UnionBank has teamed up with BMW for a Mastercard-exclusive raffle that is sure to enhance your credit card usage. Through this UnionBank Mastercard promo, cardholders can get a chance to drive home a brand-new 2023 BMW X1 simply by using their UnionBank Mastercard credit card!