Skip to main content

SM Scholar Alumna Gives Back to the community

Rosalie Macaspac is just one of the thousands of SM College Scholarship graduates, and her story proves that dreams to come true especially if you work hard for it. 

Rosalie has dedicated her life to teaching SPED because she wanted to empower and give special children a voice by advocating the welfare of deaf learners. She has She is currently a teacher at the Philippine School for the Deaf in Pasay City. 


Her journey to becoming an educator is not easy. Raised by a single mother who does laundry for a living, life is not really roses for Rosalie. "In the early years of my life as a three year old, awareness of how hard life is became a part of my growing up. I grew up with a mindset that whatever happens, I will not abandon my studies. Sensing my determination, my mother earned a living by washing and ironing the clothes of neighbors. I came to realize my mom had to wash and press thousands and thousands of clothes so I could finish my studies. But I did not pity myself. Instead, I kept a strong determination to battle on an promised my mother that she will not grow old and die as a laundry woman."

The weight on their shoulder became heavier when her mother became bedridden for half a year. That didn't stop Rosalie though, instead, it pushed her to do more. She continued her studies with much determination. With the help of her uncle, the Missionaries of Charity, and the puto bigas she sold, she and her mother was able to survive. 

She finished primary school with good grades and was a consistent scholar in high school. It didn't even matter if she only has one peso or ate rice and coffee as meals. Her next goal- college. 

"Giving up or surrendering wasn't in my vocabulary. The strong heart of my mother was passed on tome as she was my inspiration to strive to get us out of the predicament we were in. When I was in 4th year high school, I was in deep thought on how I would support my college education. Then God, in all his goodness, stepped in again. The Guidance Office announced that the SM Foundation was offering scholarships for qualified students. I knew that at that very moment, He was with me. All I had to go was to apply for the scholarship."

Rosalie vividly remembers sending her application at the Customer Service of the SM in Quiapo, and how on May 9, 1995, she learned that would be interviewed. By June that same year, she was among the SM scholars who had started their college education.

She recalled being a well-rounded person during her time as a scholar. It was then that she realized her dreams and it eventually paved way for her success in life. The activities provided by SM Foundation, such as the scholars assemble, the orientation leadership training, sports fest and annual retreat, not only gave her happy memories but helped develop her character today.

"Looking back, the retreats, monthly meetings and being able to work in SM as an employee, followed up by our project director boosted by self-esteem and opened my world to service," said Rosalie. 

Before teaching, she first worked as a Merchandise and Planning Control-Clerk at the SM Head Office which was then located in Manila. 

Working in DepEd has always been her dream, and she is proud of where she is today. "Since day one of my college days, I aimed to be a public-school teacher. I am happy with my work now as a High School Teacher for Deaf Learners. I am so privileged that I am in this community and my heart is entwined with my students."

"I am not ashamed to tell my students that I had a humble beginning and I thank SM Foundation for putting me where I am now. I owe these blessings to SM, Henry "Tatang" Sy, SM Foundation, Ma'am Nilda Bernaldez, and my fellow SM-Scholars, most especially to my mother. They are all instruments to why I chose to give back to a special community and dedicate my life to being an effective SPED teacher. 
































































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scientific fact: Women are more attracted to men with facial hair

Science says it. Men with facial hair are more attractive. A study in the 70s and two more recent ones conducted by Neave and Shields in 2008 and Dixson and Brooks in 2013 all came up with the same conclusion: Most women find men with a stubble or a five-o’clock shadow very, very attractive.   Although the women’s perception of male attractiveness changed according to the amount and length of men’s facial hair, most women in the study found men with a moderate amount of facial hair to be the most attractive. Some women did prefer men with no facial hair, but to the majority, men with no facial hair were not very attractive and seemed the least likely romantic partners. Women perceived full bearded men to be aggressive, more mature and a bit too much to handle.

Thinning hair problem? 5 ways to deal with your hair loss dilemma

Losing lots of hair each day? Starting to have bald patches on your head? One of the most fearsome thoughts for both men and women is the prospect of thinning hair. Though hair loss occurrence is higher among men, women are not exempted from this problem. According to studies, roughly 30 percent of the adult population suffers from some degree of hair loss, which can lower one’s confidence and cause anxiety. If hair is one’s crowning glory, balding hair can be a real nightmare. 

Your UnionBank Mastercard may be the key to a brand-new BMW

Union Bank of the Philippines (UnionBank) Mastercard credit cardholders, this is for you! UnionBank has teamed up with BMW for a Mastercard-exclusive raffle that is sure to enhance your credit card usage. Through this UnionBank Mastercard promo, cardholders can get a chance to drive home a brand-new 2023 BMW X1 simply by using their UnionBank Mastercard credit card!